To Leave – a new narrative-driven platformer that deals with depression, self harm and the search for deeper meaning – is launching today on Steam.
Developed by Ecuadorian studio Freaky Creations, To Leave’s unorthodox level design, animated cutscenes, and deeply emotional universe are fueled by pain and driven by an inspiring, obsessive attention to detail.
About To Leave
In To Leave, the player inhabits Harm – a character who is suffering from manic depression. In possession of a magical flying door; Harm makes his way through expansive, vivid levels akin to an Ayahuasca trip in order to fulfill his Plan; a way to harvest the souls of his homeworld so that everyone can leave this world and enter Heaven.
With the ability to move left and right and fly upward with the help of his door; Harm must traverse each level collecting Vibrance – a type of energy; while avoiding hazards and deadly falls. Slow, methodical movement is the way to go here; If all Vibrance is lost, Harm is sent “home” – exhausted and filled with despair. Flying between immense, powerful rocks that function as checkpoints; Harm can open his magical door to parts unknown – eventually arriving at the many Harvesting Shrines that hold the key to redemption. Reaching all of them and activating the Origin Gate is the only way out.
- Experience a lyrical, awe-inspiring platformer that ignores genre boundaries.
- Savor a stunning, handcrafted world full of color and danger.
- Immerse yourself in a gripping, emotional narrative that doesn’t hold back.
- Enter Harm’s mind though detailed diaries that chronicle his journey of self-discovery.
- Enjoy an original soundtrack that reflects the beautiful yet dissonant nature of the game’s many worlds.
- Explore the peaks and valleys of manic depression through a powerful mix of story and gameplay.